Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Week 3 EOC: My Demographics


“They are the most ethnically and racially diverse cohort of youth in the nation's history. Among those ages 13 to 29: 18.5% are Hispanic; 14.2% are black; 4.3% are Asian; 3.2% are mixed race or other; and 59.8%, a record low, are white.They are starting out as the most politically progressive age group in modern history. They are the first generation in human history who regard behaviors like tweeting and texting, along with websites like Facebook, YouTube, Google and Wikipedia, not as astonishing innovations of the digital era, but as everyday parts of their social lives and their search for understanding. They are the least religiously observant youths since survey research began charting religious behavior..” (http://pewresearch.org/pubs/1437/millennials-profile) I do agree with much that is written here. I also can relate to most of it as well. Technology has never not been a part of my life. I grew up having internet and using Google to do all my research. I received a cell phone when I was 13 and got an iPod when I was 11. “Retailers also need to keep in mind that millennials tend to seek brands and products that are socially responsible; this generation is looking for products that are sustainable, fair-trade and offer lower carbon footprints, for example." (http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/12/living/millennials-shopping/index.html) This I completely agree with. I find myself wanting to know if a company uses recyclable material or if they are benefitting anyone else. Many companies now are donating, recycling, or giving back to the community and its because our generation demands it. "That emotional connection between brand and consumer is weakening. They don't need to rely on (brands) so heavily for inspiration and resources. They have 2,500 bloggers and a variety of social networks telling them what to do." (http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/12/living/millennials-shopping/index.html) Blogging has taken over the way people read about things or how they learn things. I find most of my fashion inspirations on tumblr or websites like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment